Bioinformatics Analyst IV 610292 (NCI) Job
Date: Nov 7, 2014
Location: Bethesda Md, MD, US
Bioinformatics Analyst IV 610292 (NCI) (Job Number:610292)
Leidos Biomedical Research, Inc., a wholly owned
subsidiary of Leidos, operates the Frederick
National Laboratory for Cancer Research, sponsored by the National Cancer
Institute. Our focus is on basic and applied science in cancer and AIDS. We
maintain an integrated suite of advanced technologies backed by scientific
expertise in areas such as genetics, genomics, protein science, proteomics,
bioinformatics, high-performance biomedical computing, and nanotechnology. We
develop new technologies to support cutting-edge science, and we develop and
manufacture clinical-grade pharmaceuticals for first-in-human trials.
For more information about Leidos Biomedical
Research Inc., please visit our webpage at www.leidosbiomed.com
The Advanced Biomedical Computing Center (ABCC) is a part of the Information
Systems Program at Leidos Biomedical Inc. The ABCC
provides bioinformatics analysis support, technology development, scientific
consultation, collaboration and training, and high-performance computing support
to the NCI and NIH scientists and staff.
This position works to advance the mission of the Oncogenomics section of the
Genetics Branch of the NCI Center for Cancer Research to harness the power of
high throughput genomic and proteomic methods to improve the outcomes of
high-risk metastatic, refractory and recurrent cancers. The position will
support the goals of integrating data to decipher the biology of these
cancers, validate biomarkers and novel therapeutic targets, and translate
findings for clinical application. Become an integral member of a dynamic
team of bioinformaticians, computational biologists, statisticians,
biologists and clinicians. Provide scientific and technical leadership for
computational biologists and bioinformaticians. Work closely with principal
investigator to initiate new areas of research, direct and prioritize
projects. Keep up-to-date awareness of relevant literature and technical
advances. Organize and lead team members in weekly meetings, analysis, and
development and use of genomic annotation tools linking gene, mutations,
drugs and public data. Contribute original ideas in discussion, to proposals
and to publications including as first author. Position will be located on
the NIH campus in Bethesda.
: BASIC QUALIFICATIONS
- Possession of a Bachelors degree in biomedical
science/bioinformatics/ math/physics/ engineering/computer related field from
an accredited college or university or four (4) years related experience in
lieu of degree.
- Foreign degrees must be evaluated for U.S. equivalency.
- In addition to educational requirements, a minimum of eight (8) years
related experience in a laboratory environment with a strong background in
database management and utility programming.
- Ability to provide scientific team leadership, including teaching complex
genomic concepts and techniques to other bioinformatics analysts and
- Ability to troubleshoot complex computational analyses.
- Familiarity with current state-of-the art academic and commercial
bioinformatics applications including Partek, GSEA,
Ingenuity, GeneGo and other pathway analysis tools.
- Ability to provide analysis and guiding expertise to facilitate optimal
statistical analysis for scientific questions of interest.
- Experience with the Unix/Linux environment including algorithm development
and programming solutions using languages such as Perl, Python, R, MySQL,
C/C++ and Java.
- Ability to effectively work in multidisciplinary team environment.
- Excellent ability to self-direct activities and priorities as well as guide
team activities and priorities.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- This position is subject to obtaining a Public Trust Clearance.
- Masters or PhD degree is preferred.
- Publication record as first or last authorship.
- Expertise in next-generation sequencing and microarray analysis.
- Familiarity with website application development for public use.
- Experience successfully supervising other bioinformaticians or
- Experience working with data mining technologies for the purpose of
multi-domain data integration.
Leidos Overview:Leidos is an applied solutions company focused on
markets that are seeing converging business and technological trends, and
address basic, enduring human needs: defense and national security, health
and life sciences, and energy, engineering and infrastructure. The Company's
approximately 20,000 employees serve customers in the U.S. Department of Defense,
the intelligence community, the U.S. Department of Homeland Security, other
U.S. Government civil agencies and commercial health and engineering markets.
Leidos is an Equal Opportunity Employer M/F/D/V.
Job Posting: Nov 7, 2014, 8:00:01 AM
Primary Location: USA-MD-BETHESDA MD
Clearance Level Must Currently Possess: None
Clearance Level Must Be Able to Obtain: Public Trust
Potential for Teleworking: No
Shift: Day Job
Nearest Major Market: Washington DC
Job Segment: Genetics, Biotech, Materials Science,
Nanotechnology, Engineer, Science, Engineering